Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Macarons Are Not Macaroons - Part 4


Yes, there will be a fifth and hopefully final chapter to the endless macaron making saga. (Part 1 - August 2, 2013,           Part 2 - August, 13, 2013, Part 3 - Sept. 10, 2013). Success in the macaron business shall be mine one of these days, particularly now that I own a Kitchen-aid mixer.

In the meantime, I can attest to the fact that macarons are definitely not macaroons.

I  made macaroons during the holidays and can't believe I haven't tried these before. They take all of 10 minutes, have almost no ingredients, and can be stirred with a spoon or in my case einen Kochlöffel. They are impossible to mess up and as I've said so many times, are just different....different texture, different ingredients, different appearance, different taste and above all, different skill level.

First, I found a recipe. This was a great one from the internet. Pardon my egg white dribbles on the paper. A clean version can be found and printed at this site ...

 http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/first-place-coconut-macaroons




















After combining the few ingredients, coconut, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, I dropped them on some parchment paper. I made circles using a meatball maker or some such odd tool that I found in a drawer. You could probably use a spoon or even your hands but the batter is a bit sticky. This took all of ten minutes.

Place in the oven at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes.














      Voilà, done! Macar00ns.




They're no macarons, but nonetheless, if you like coconut, they're tasty. I made a second batch closer to Christmas and food coloured them green. Then I placed a cherry half in the middle to make them more festive. I have no photos since they got eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment