Thursday, May 28, 2015

I Won A Real Prize

The phone rang. "Congratulations, this is the Toronto Star calling. You've won tickets to......."

Of course, since I've been receiving phone scam calls, I responded with "No I haven't. I didn't enter any contest."

Fortunately, I didn't slam down the receiver. The woman sounded excited for me and somehow had an air of legitimacy about her. It didn't take long before I tracked down the perpetrator. It was the alien life form that lives in my house aka child #1. She had entered a contest and wanted to increase her chances of winning by entering me as well.

Now, there are two problems. I will need to go to the Toronto Star building to pick up the winning tickets this week, and I will have Toronto Star suite seats at a concert which I'm not that interested in. I rarely even stay awake late enough to attend live shows and I've never heard of Darius Rucker. Do I look like a country and western fan?

"Darius used to be in Hootie and the Blowfish." my daughter announced.

Ah yes. It was all becoming clear to me now. Hootie and the Blowfish seem to be one of those recurring themes that I've had and we all have throughout our lives. In fact, they just came up in conversation the other day. I even knew the Hootie and the Blowfish answer on Jeopardy recently. But that's another story.

Sometimes, I'd swear they mixed up the children at birth, but I know for a fact that this is impossible. Besides being the spitting image of her Amish grandma Rose, child #1 was the only fair complexioned blonde baby in Toronto East General Hospital during the week I gave birth.

Apparently, I now have to pick up the tickets in person and provide evidence that I am in fact me prior to solving a complex, mathematical skill testing question. So there's trip one to Toronto next week. Fortunately, I get senior rates on the GO train now, and that's as good as free. Skill testing question??? Prodigy child #1 has offered to coach me all weekend. Sure, I have nothing else to do. Alternate suggestion and new plan was that she accompany me and solve the question herself. Is that likely to be allowed? Anyhow, a mother daughter day out. Sounds like fun.

Once we investigate said tickets, I'll know better whether I can give her both of them or whether I'll need to accompany her to the Molson Amphitheatre on Saturday night for this wonderful Star suite opportunity. Did I mention they also provide free food and drinks to the winners?

If I schedule my time carefully, take naps between all my errands next Saturday, sleep on the GO train on the way to the concert, I might be able to stay awake for the opening acts. On the other hand, I should think of this as an experience. It's an opportunity to do something new and potentially enjoyable. It's never too late to try something new. Besides...the Star suite? I'll report back.

As Darius would say......

I'm up for just about anything as long as it's almost legal
I can fit in with any old crowd, long as there's a part, they're my kind of people
If you're down with painting the town, I'll be around all night
You know I'm always good for a good time
When it comes to a good time, you know what they say
I'ts never too early, it's never too late.


No comments:

Post a Comment