Monday, April 29, 2013

Been There, Done That, Got it Myself...

It's that time again, time to get something for hubby's birthday. Since he buys anything he wants, owns most electronic items in triplicate, doesn't care for extravagant clothing and has a backlog of experiences (tickets, gift cards, vouchers etc.), I am, as usual left with a dilemma.

He likes lots of attention and lots of gifts. Who doesn't? The problem is, how can you get someone lots of gifts when they already own everything?

I bought him a telephone case a few days prior to his birthday last year. His dollar store phone containment specials seemed to either disintegrate or spew cell phones into the vast cosmos of lost items. The last time he lost his phone, a nice lady from points north of Superior located it in a scenic lookout parking lot. Fortunately, she tracked us down and returned it. The time before, he wasn't so lucky.

I no sooner got him a nice leather phone case with snap closures to avoid such mishaps in the future, when I heard him announce "I have to get another cell phone case tomorrow".

Tomorrow? Tomorrow? It wouldn't be his birthday for several more days. I handed over the case just to be on the safe side, said, "Happy Birthday" and was informed that the case was a business cost and thus not really a gift. I came up with some alternatives although they weren't memorable.

So now what? Going to a Yankees game in the Bronx was a possibility. After all, he wanted to see the new Yankee Stadium. I guess he thought it was a good idea too. He bought the tickets himself yesterday.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas, clues, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps he'll see this and come up with some himself. On the other hand, that's no fun. I'd like to think I can be creative enough to think of something myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment