Monday, September 1, 2014

When I'm Sixty Four

When he was sixteen years old, Paul McCartney wrote the song, "When I'm Sixty Four". I find  it  interesting how he viewed a sixty four year old. To me, many of the lyrics suggest a teen having difficulty imagining himself in a sixty four year old body. What do you think? I've added my personal commentary. I feel qualified since I am currently of this particular age.

When I get older losing my hair (a touchy subject so no comment)
 Many years from now (I wish) 
Will you still be sending me a valentine (if you ever did)
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine? (can't drink...interferes with my medication)
If I'd been out till quarter to three (at 64?  I'm assuming he means 3 in the afternoon)
Would you lock the door? (only if I can see the keyhole and not shake too much to lock it)
Will you still need me, will you still feed me (hope you like mashed bananas)
When I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older too  (ya' think?)
And if you say the word  
I could stay with you (no thanks, too much extra work...mashing bananas)

I could be handy, mending a fuse (I'm guessing there were no breaker switches when Paul Mc was 16)
When your lights have gone (the lights are on but nobody's home?)
You can knit a sweater by the fireside (yeah right...what if I were arthritic and couldn't see by the flickering flames?)
Sunday mornings go for a ride (on a bike, in a car, bus, wheelchair?)
Doing the garden, digging the weeds (never ending fun)
Who could ask for more? (Nobody. Don't need more weeds)
Will you still need me, will you still feed me (See first chorus...or, try to feed me and you'll be wearing it)
When I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wight
If it's not too dear (How about a luxurious cruise instead?)
We shall scrimp and save (for our old age?)
Grandchildren on your knee (kind of crowded causing the need for knee replacement)
Vera, Chuck & Dave (Why not call them Up, Chuck & Di ? Oh...I guess it doesn't rhyme)

Send me a postcard, drop me a line (can't afford the postage anymore)
Stating point of view (you got it right here)
Indicate precisely what you mean to say (I do...no filters left at this age)
Yours sincerely, wasting away (or getting fatter, pick one)
Give me your answer, fill in a form (can't see the form until after cataract surgery)
Mine for evermore (Quoth the raven...evermore)
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?
Ho! (Who you calling a ho?)

No comments:

Post a Comment