Friday, August 16, 2019

Tom and Jerry, Where Are You?

I would like a Tom and Jerry punch bowl set. I have no reason to say this except that I've been obsessed ever since one of my treks to the U.S. with a friend. We tasted the amazing Tom and Jerry concoction, and enjoyed it along with a wonderful turkey dinner at the Crystal Restaurant in Watertown.         

http://thecrystalrestaurant.com/

Although recipes may vary, the drink is often made with a cake like batter combined with rum, brandy, egg whites, and topped with warm milk. What's not to like? It's a delicious choice for a cold November/December evening.

I currently have a large bucket of Tom and Jerry mix in my freezer which I picked up, along with a recipe, at the Ecklof Bakery and Deli in Jamestown N.Y. last year.
I could have made the punch mix in a bowl...any bowl I suppose, but I feel that to get the true flavour and enjoy the sense of the drink, the official dishes are essential. I'm determined to acquire this set by Christmas, even though I have no idea whether we'll be in the country or if we'll even have company to help us enjoy this treat.
In the meantime, I became curious about the Tom and Jerry history. How could I have lived so many years and not have known about this until 2018?

What I learned came from Wikipedia. Tom and Jerry is a traditional Christmas drink in the U.S. and was created by a British journalist in the 1820's. The mix is sold in supermarkets around Christmas and is manufactured in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas. It has been mentioned in many movies, and was President Harding's favourite drink. Fascinating.

I've also learned that these sets are available in many vintage stores, antique barns, and the like. 

Let the exploration begin!
Recipe from Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment