Saturday, August 10, 2019

The Wonky Donkey...not just for kids

What can I say? I love kids' books. I always have. There are so many great ones that are clever, colourful, and fun...just like me. 

Sometimes the books carry a message. Other times, they are full of rhyming silliness that appeals to young children and helps to stimulate language development. They often show examples of artwork that is amazing enough to be in a gallery.  

 Sadly, my once vast collection of children's books has been whittled down to a few of my favourites as I try to avoid adding to my now skeletal
story shelf.

This video came to my attention a few months ago. Is there anything better than the joy of a grandma reading a silly story to a child? In fact, yes there is. Add the Scottish accent, the contagious laughter, and you've definitely got a winner. I think this woman should get part of the profits for her contribution to the skyrocketing book sales. Perhaps she does.
Despite temptations,  I avoided purchasing the Wonky Donkey for the longest time. I would walk surreptitiously out of bookstores glancing back over my shoulder at the displays with the bright blue and yellow cover and smirking donkey. I'd approach, then retreat, telling myself it was not an essential possession for a down-sizing senior. I wracked my brain attempting to come up with an excuse to get this book, but alas, I had none other than the joy it would bring me.

Finally, my willpower gave out. On a recent Indigo stop, the book leapt into my hands and refused to let go.
Since I'm now the proud owner of Wonky Donkey. I decided to do a bit of research. I discovered that Craig Smith is a well known New Zealand children's author with a number of books to his credit. Since he's a musician, many of the stories begin as songs. More info can be found on this site.

https://yp.scmp.com/news/features/article/109508/new-zealand-childrens-books-author-craig-smith-what-inspires-his

The illustrator,  Katz Cowley has her own fascinating journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=421&v=MWW6z566Mx

So what will I do with my new picture book? Well, since I've discovered that  there are two interactive Wonky books, "The House that Wonky Built", and "The Wonky Donkey Sticker Scenes", and a Wonky stuffed doll, perhaps I'll create a gift pack for my next trip to visit relatives who have young children (after I play with them first that is).

On the other hand, perhaps I'll just keep it and add it to my small collection of trove of items that bring me joy. 

Here's the Wonky Donkey song.   

https://kids.scholastic.com/content/dam/scholastic/kids/Audio/wonkydonkey/The%20Wonky%20Donkey.mp3?logActivity=true 

No comments:

Post a Comment