Saturday, February 11, 2023

Layered Salad

Just found this recipe in my unpublished blogs. Don't ask me why it was there. I may have posted it before and it's not an uncommon recipe, but it's a good one. So here it is again.

This is tasty and a huge hit with guests. My daughter calls it horizontal salad. You can make it big in a fancy see through bowl, or smaller for just a couple of servings. Make a day ahead and let the flavours absorb and meld. The photo at the end is in a normal bowl. I usually take my time to make it look nicer for company and I use an etched footed bowl.

Essentially, you need these ingredients - (start at bottom of list with lettuce to the top cheese). Don't ask me why I  wrote everything in reverse order but this is how it looks in a bowl...lettuce at the bottom.
                   
                       old/sharp cheddar cheese (old is best for taste)
                       a teaspoon of sugar or sweetener
                       real mayonnaise (not miracle whip)
                       frozen sweetlet peas
                       spanish or red onion
                       one red pepper (or other colour)
                       celery
                       iceberg lettuce (or any kind I guess)

I chop enough lettuce to fill about 1/3 of bowl.
Next, add about 2 or 3 stalks of celery (depending on salad size), chopped small, diagonally.
Seed and chop a large red pepper, although I've used other colours...orange or yellow.
Chop enough red (prettier) or spanish onion to create another layer. Use a whole one for big salad.
Layer frozen peas on top of all this but make sure there's no snow or frost on them.
Spread a layer of mayo., sprinkle with sugar or sweetener.
Grate enough old cheddar cheese to create another layer.
For added colour and decoration you can put parsley on top or a very light sprinkling of paprika.

***Variation - For meat eaters a variation is to crumble half a dozen slices of crispy cooked bacon on top.



                           

                     
           

No comments:

Post a Comment