Friday, October 14, 2011

Mid to Late October

I have to say that I love the summer. I enjoy being warm, having barbeques, eating watermelon, drinking beer, wearing minimal clothing and all the rest of what summer brings. Next to the summer, I like the time between Thanksgiving and Halloween the best.

Thanksgiving weekend has just ended. The leaves are changing colour. Orange pumpkins and dried corn husks are bountiful. Fall crops are abundant. The definitive colours are oranges, reds, browns and yellows. Lovely. With each special celebration, I enjoy decorating. I pulled out my "Autumn" bin and spewed seasonal items around my house.

Croton, not crouton

A friend of mine recently said, "I can't believe you have seasonal bins". She should have seen them before I downsized! On my porch, there are scarecrows sitting on a hay bale, a wreath and a lovely plant which I placed outside because of the fall-like colours. I have to be careful of frost but there appears to be no threat of any for awhile. In fact, we have had pretty nice weather.  

Thanksgiving in Canada has a long and varied history. Before it became established in its current form, Martin Frobisher celebrated the first Thanksgiving in Newfoundland, in 1578. This was followed by Samuel de Champlain in the early 1600's. Celebrations accompanied by large feasts came about for a variety of reasons....safe travels, wars and rebellions ending and so on.  
              
Some decor such as pilgrim statuettes are more of an American tradition dating back to the arrival of the ship, the Mayflower. On the other hand, many Americans who eventually moved to Canada brought their traditions with them. We have gladly adopted some and melded them with ours.



I'm not certain at what point the cornucopia, or horn of plenty, was added to the Thanksgiving decor mix, but it represents abundance and has become a meaningful part of our celebrations as well.
                                                  




  











                                          

And finally, the best part of Thanksgiving of course, is getting together with friends and family, remembering those who are no longer with us and being grateful for those who are.

Soon, Halloween will be here. I love Halloween...but that's another topic.

                                                                   
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment