Tuesday, February 26, 2019

French Polynesia - Bora Bora or bust! Part Three (a)

Bora Bora, Raiatea, Huahine

And there it was! On day six of our trip, the sun was shining, the water shimmered in shades of blue, and off in the distance we saw the remnants of two volcanic peaks, Mount Pahia and Mount Otemanu. We were arriving at Bora Bora. The lagoon, one of earth's spectacular wonders, is ringed by coral reefs. It's an island almost entirely dependent on tourism. The standard feature in Bora Bora are the resorts which boast many over the water bungalows on stilts...the image which I have so often longed to be a part of. The capital city, Vaitape, just off the wharf, boasts a population of 5000.



We were going to be in Bora Bora for two days. This gave us time for a few touring opportunities. The first, was a lagoon cruise with snorkeling.  This "opportunity" seemed to include getting up close and personal with sting rays and sharks. 



a few sharks approached

his arm on left

making friends





On the second day, after he recovered from staring into the eyes of sharks, hubby toured the island in a more sedate off road adventure. He got to see some of the scenery, a pareo house and sarong demonstration, as well as some of the seven cannons left over from WWII when the U.S. was protecting the area from the Japanese.  

 I wanted no part of the bumpy driving up to the volcano or the historical war adventure, but rather had already planned my dream day. It was a no brainer. I was going to be a participant in my Bora Bora vision. Had I thought of it, I would have booked an overnight stay at the Pearl Beach Resort and Spa. It was actually doable since the ship stayed in Bora Bora for two days. Perhaps next time. All participants received lovely shell necklaces, before we were off on a boat to Motu Tevairoa.  Then, there they were...I saw not only the bungalows, but also Mount Otemanu in the distance.
 When I arrived at the resort, I gazed around in wonder at the fantastic woodwork, the lobby with mother of pearl wall, and the entire atmosphere. I cried. The participants were given washcloths (in my case for the tears) and a lemon drink to cool off  before our tour of the facilities. We were told to enjoy the everything or nothing. There was lots to do...kayaking, canoes, snorkeling, stand up paddle boards, table tennis, mini golf, tennis and volleyball courts, and of course, beach chairs. All activities were included in our day.

hotel lobby
greeting washcloth and drink





gorgeous beach

We had a lovely lunch which included an appetizer, a drink of any kind, and main course or dessert. If I'd known the size of my appetizer salad, I would have opted for a small dessert rather than a main course which was too much for me to eat. 
                           
My version of the feet photos most people take while on vacation. Proof that I was there.

What a phenomenal and memorable day it was. Not only that, I was so impressed with the peoples'  respect for the environment, attempts to take care of resources by recycling, using solar energy, and providing areas for fish nurseries and regrowth of vegetation.






As the day ended, we gathered our bags, got back on the water ferry and headed to the ship. I took one last look at the bungalows off in the distance and... I cried.



***This blog got a bit longer than expected so I think I'll make it 3a. and Raiatea and Huahine part 3b. Stay tuned. I'm working as fast as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment